Cast iron cookware has a stellar reputation for its versatility, high-quality and durability but it can be a pain to maintain, if you don’t know how to clean and season it properly. If you’ve been turned off cooking with cast iron because you think it’s a chore, let us show you the easy way to clean and season cast iron.
If your cookware just needs a light clean i.e no baked-on food or sticky residue then follow these step-by-step instructions:
- While the cookware is still warm (not piping hot) rinse it under hot water.
- Using a stiff-bristled brush scrub to remove any remaining food bits. Don’t use soap!
- Using a towel, pat your cookware dry and then let it sit on a rack to dry completely.
- If your cast iron cookware looks black and shiny consider it clean. If it looks marbled, dull or grey then spray the surface with a cast iron conditioner and rub it in gently with a paper towel or lint-free cloth.
If your cookware is in need of a heavy duty clean then follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Remove all food and residue with a plastic pan scraper or chain mail scrubber.
- Fill the pan with hot water and 2 teaspoons of a cast iron cleaner. Rub the cleaner in using a clean cloth or a plastic brush. If food is burnt on or doesn’t come off easily allow it to soak for 10 minutes, then scrub.
- If it is still stuck bring the water to a boil to loosen any residue.
- Scrub any remaining food residue off using a stiff-bristled brush. Rinse well and pat dry. Follow directions as above for cast iron conditioner.
Now that you know how to clean and season cast iron you can feel confident investing in some high-quality cast iron cookware.